Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Polishing - whats am I not doing right?

It could be all of the above mentioned really, unclean pad (even new ones can catch some grit), poor prep in the bodyshop etc.

Forget about the pigtails even for a minute and look at how undefined the reflection is on the panel!!!! Is there still product on that panel?. As stated above looks like those were put in the during a stint in the body shop.

Have you tried doing a wet sanding yet??
    Hope this helps,
    Cab

www.instagram.com/super4bmw
    www.facebook.com/super4bmw

www.facebook.com/eisenmannireland
    super4offroad@gmail.com

I wiped the panel after but maybe there's still product left?

It's an old panel, was on the car when I got it or maybe I had it painted I can't really remember.

It was dull before and I need something to compare fresh paint with.

1200grit wet sand or something finer?

Quote Originally Posted by Super4 BMW View Post
    It could be all of the above mentioned really, unclean pad (even new ones can catch some grit), poor prep in the bodyshop etc.

Forget about the pigtails even for a minute and look at how undefined the reflection is on the panel!!!! Is there still product on that panel?. As stated above looks like those were put in the during a stint in the body shop.

Have you tried doing a wet sanding yet??
    In agreement with the above. Any more pics as whatever about the circles the base paint doesn't look right. It has a "dry" look to it. Who painted it?

A "dry look", could you elaborate on what you mean?

It's probably the picture also as it wasn't easy to capture the pig tails. Anyhow it's not really a problem, thi panel won't be going onto my car again, I just needed something as a comparison against a few other colours

Quote Originally Posted by Feens View Post

Both these cars got the Zaino treatment 7 coats went onto the Golf, but it took a prize at edition 38 and 2nd in class for Best mk4 and best paint @ Ultimate Dubs, the Polo won Show n shine in fermoy i think, Apart from those 2 cars ive never used it on anything else other than my own car
    Thats a Lupo Brian
    And they must have trailered the cars over to e38 to keep them so clean did they?

Those swirls definitely look like grit damage.. Id try the wet sanding for practice more than anything Brendan, just to see if you can get them out for the craic
    All cars are money pits its just some of us love our cars more than others

My 318iS Project

Quote Originally Posted by Jozi View Post
    Just ran the DA over a panel earlier to give it a little more shine.

For the most part there's a nicer shine of it but I'm left with marks. I used a small orange pad with a medium cut polish, then a black (finishing) pad with medium cut and then the least cutting polish.

he means dry as in not a shiny finish. look that the reflection of the light. it's very textured. it should be more like a mirror finish or with just slight texture.

jinksy is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

i'll be very surprised if thats not sinkage in the paint showing scratches from the sander when the panel was prepared

Quote Originally Posted by jinksy View Post
    i'll be very surprised if thats not sinkage in the paint showing scratches from the sander when the panel was prepared
    Looking at it there i think you might be right...

its nasty as fuk

Quote Originally Posted by the drifter View Post
    S50 the Bitch

Possibly not my polishing then

That there above is another reason as to why I didnt get that guy to repaint the shell That wing and a few other parts were painted for very little a couple of years ago.

Thread Information