Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cabrio Leather restoration

The filler must be very flexible if it fills the splits and doesn't crack after. I thought you'd only be able to do cracks in the leather. That's impressive stuff.
    FWD SUCKS

Quote Originally Posted by scruffymurphy View Post
    The filler must be very flexible if it fills the splits and doesn't crack after. I thought you'd only be able to do cracks in the leather. That's impressive stuff.
    The filler is only for the cracks alright - it's a close relative of a PVA glue I'd imagine.

The tears are repaired with a special glue and canvas cloth supporting it under the leather, it's held in place with some sticky tape while it cures. Filler goes over at the end to smooth over the 'crack' it leaves behind.

One seat down! Only got iPhone photos, but it'll give you an idea of how it turned out.

Base isn't as good as I'd like - having to use to much filler alters the gloss level slightly, so its a bit more matte at the moment than I'd like. A bit of use will have it looking fine. Sprayed up the seat back in satin black - plastic primer on first of course.

Madman2 is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Very nice Ken well done

Sainsbury is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

when i do it i work the cracks out of the leather no need for filler at all, leaves the leather softer too

Quote Originally Posted by Sainsbury View Post
    when i do it i work the cracks out of the leather no need for filler at all, leaves the leather softer too
    There would have been no leather left had I attempted that with the base on this! Was beginning to split completely all over the place, still not sure it'll hold up.

It looks good in the pics anyway. Well done.
    FWD SUCKS

Excellent work ! I was in two minds to do this with my own , but these pics have made up my mind . I'm gonna use a company called magic mender , I've used them for a household application before with great results , they seem to have a great BMW specific colour chart , will post some pics when I complete the work.

Thread Information