Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Schwarz E30

Does anyone have any recommendations for suspension upgrades? I would like to remove a lot of the body roll I have. I originally wanted to keep the car stock looking and as original as possible but do feel it has too much suspension travel. Is it just a matter of getting springs and shocks from a sport, or is there a better option?

Conor_Smyth is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael. View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for suspension upgrades? I would like to remove a lot of the body roll I have. I originally wanted to keep the car stock looking and as original as possible but do feel it has too much suspension travel. Is it just a matter of getting springs and shocks from a sport, or is there a better option?
    Whats the Budget?... Best bang for buck imo are probably BC coilovers or similar. But if you want them, get your order in by tomorrow because BC are raising the price of all their coilovers by approx 105 quid on monday due to the shitty exchange rate these days

If you wanna go for standard sport suspension... I'd reccomend a set of Bilstein b8 shocks and and standard sport springs... or a decent lowering spring if you wanna drop it slightly

Cheers Conor,

I think coil overs might be over kill and too expensive for a daily. Just want to tighten things up a bit as the car has a lot of dive and softness at the minute.
    I can get sports springs and shocks for e150 so might go that route from an E30 sport that us being broken.

Still haven't done anything with the suspension but have sorted out the electrical issue I had that was causing the car to cut out when ever it felt the need to. It was a pain as it was intermittent and only when it finally became a full time problem could I trouble shoot it. Turned out the kill switch had been wired into the green wire that powers the ignition coil. There were three or four crimped connections along the way and one of them was dodgy. All sorted now thankfully, car got new oil and valve adjustment 2 weeks ago and is running perfect since.

Also got four newly refurbed wheels and tyres, 4 wheel alignment completed so the car is very smooth and comfortable as there had been a slight shake above 70 in the steering wheel before, not there now.

As she sits now:

Looking well
    1990 E30 316i M42B18 Matte Black 2 Door
    1995 E34 518i Techno Violet Metallic Saloon

Looks great!

I need to get some new wishbone bushes as per Mr NCT. I took one out last night and had a look and it looks grand to me but hey ho.

So after a bit of googling turns out there are lots of options here. Any advice from those in the know on here? Should I do more than the wishbone bushes when I am at it?

I read this article which recommends solid rubber ones from an e36, non eccentric.

http://www.rtsauto.com/e30-control-a...-arm-bushings/

I put m3 eccentric ones in my 325. Really liked them! Being solid they are miles better than standard ones, and the increased caster made the car turn really nice on fast road use. I really didn't want to go poly on the road

Cheers Conor, where'd you get em?

Think I just got em off ebay. They were meyle ones for 40 quid I think

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Smyth View Post
    I put m3 eccentric ones in my 325.
    Best, first suspension upgrade for any e30, they bring great stability to the front end. We did the same trick on my dad's Z3 & he was delighted with the results

Edit: Bilstein B8's with preogressive Eibach pro (-30mm) springs are fantastic also. Not cheap though; they sell em as a package B12 is the reference code.

Got the bushings sorted today. Whilst I was at it decided to replace the old control arms too. Now just to test drive it.

Another great upgrade (A seanmul special) for your droplinks.. They look like they could do with a freshen soon enough. Get rear droplinks from a 01-07 estate mondeo! They fit the front of an e30 and delete that bush and U-bracket. And also are shorter which helps keep the ARB flat on a lowered car

And then vectra C rear droplinks in the back. (requires the U-bracket to be drilled out to take a bigger bolt... Have a DIY in my drift car build)

Cheers for that Conor. I was going to replace those as well alright as they are tired as you say. Big difference with the new bushings in already made. I'll have look at that Mondeo droplink next.

New droplinks in at the front now from a Mondeo. Great job so thanks for the pointer. I have the car booked in now for the biggie, a full respray in mid April. Not cheap but going to be done properly. Car stripped/windows out etc. Only thing I need is a solid sunroof panel, so if anyone knows of one please let me know.

Cheers

Thread Information