Thread: Diff bolts differences?

Default Diff bolts differences?

So today I removed a 4.1 open diff originally fitted to a 91 320i .

I then fitted a 3.64 lsd that was in an e36 compact.All went well until the end where the half shaft bolts are a different spec.

The placement and spacing of the 6 bolt holes on each side of both diffs is identical.But only after fitting the new diff I discovered the new diff bolt holes are slightly narrower so I couldn't compete the job meaning I'm feckin car less until I get this sorted as I don't want to undo all that work today.

What is my best option here? Any ideas?

Conor_Smyth is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Just get new bolts? Wouldn't think they would be much from BMW? Never came across different bolts before when swapping diffs myself

Got speaking to a fella says the half shafts are different on the 320 compared with the 325. 6mms bolts vs 8mms and apparently the flange is slightly different too.

Conor_Smyth is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Never noticed that when I swapped from 320 to 325... Maybe I swapped over the cups... cant remember now. Must compare the weekend when I'm home as i think i still have the old 320 diff

I think it is the cups. Picked up cups and shafts today from a 325 so hopefully get sorted when I get back at it....it's in a different county now as I wasn't gonna refit the old diff again to get home. One of the top bolts was a complete pig.

Turns out I needed new caps. All sorted.

Thread Information