Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Detailing & Car Care chatSponsored by: PropertyDrone.ie

Old 20-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Overlord

I got my stuff on autogeek.net Got a nice few things there.

As for the clay bar I had searched all over and couldn't find any so I ordered it from autogeek. A week later I saw a Meguires kit in my local Halfords here in Cork.
2 clay bars, lubricant for the clay, a microfibre towel and a sample bottle of wax as well. All for 35 euro. Bargain!
Old 20-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Sweet, I'm on it tomorrow for sure! I'd always been in the dark as to which stuff is best but I'm gettin' a feel for it now with your tips & Ian's savage thread - thanks lads!

I'll try that autogeek place too. I'm lookin forward to seein how my Dolphin Grey turns out after all this long over due pampering that its about to get! I'll see about gettin' some pics up in the members section then
Old 21-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Trouble.

My wife will kill me when she see's I spent more money on the car cleaning than on the kids this week.
Old 21-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
My wife will kill me when......
....hahaaa, jaysus Scotty, I was sure you were gonna say that she'd kill ya when ya try the clay blocks out on her!!!!!!! I'm not sure which of those faces expresses it best!!! Sorry man, my bad!!!

Anyway, I got me some of that bad-ass Meguiar's clay (box of) in Halfords about 2 hours ago.....and then it rains!! A choice of Meguiar's polish seem to be hard to come by tho, so my local motor factor man suggested I try meguiars.co.uk. Also, Meguiar's Gold Class liquid polish was €3 cheaper in Halford's than it was in my local motor factors, and Halford's also seem to have the odd deal on pretty much everything from time to time - the have a 3-for-2 deal on Autoglym stuff.

....COME ON weather, gimme a break!!...
Old 21-02-2007, 06:27 PM

I have MER car polish at home. Need to get something better really. I got the MER for the Borbet A's I bought. I've since used it on the car though as it's suitable for paint also.

A good polish and wax gives great results. You need both the time and the weather to do it though. Haven't had the weather to give a car a wax since September maybe.

A few microfibre towels for rubbing off the wax and a leather chamois for drying off the car when it's wet so you can get straight down to the waxing is definitely worth the money.

That MER stuff I have can be used wet or dry so you can use it right after a wash.

Last time I did the sport I:

Washed with Zymol additive with a sponge, about three buckets for the whole car, first for roof, windows, bonnet and boot. Second for all arounf the bottom of the car. Third just to give everything a good rinse off.

Polished the whole car then with the MER polish.

Waxed with the Meguirs TechWax...

Buffed and buffed and buffed by hand.

Did the BBS with a toothbrush.

Takes a while, all in all that day between all the cleaning, paint, wheels, glass and inside hoover and shine it took five hours.

The results were well worth it though. I had one person stop me in a petrol station to ask what color is that and did I get a respray, another shouting joyfull things as i passed in traffic!

Wax on the windscreen, best use of wax, pity it doesn't last longer!

The Meguirs range would be widely regarded as superior to the Autoglym range...
Old 21-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Yeah, I didn't know which was good/bad when I went looking first, but Autoglym was everywhere & their range in HUGE, so I got some of that. It'll probably take me a while to get thru it, but I'm defo switching all my products to Meguiar's then - I've kinda started already!

Wow, you used wax in the windows too, I dind't think that was supposed to be a good thing?? Are you talking about using the natural carnuba (spelling?!) wax or a synthetic liquid wax? I wasn't sure what to use on the windows so maybe I'll try that Meguiar's Gold Class stuff or their nxt Tech wax. Are you sure its ok for the rubber seals & wipers and that??

Nice one Ian, thanks again for the tips mate
Old 21-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Overlord

I bought a bottle of Meguires Trim Detailer as well about 2 weeks ago. It restores the black plastic bits that generally fade on the E30 (rubber window strips, window surrounds, black bits of the doors, handles, intake vents near the scuttle panel, bumpers etc.)
Its worked very well. Took the faded look away and left a nice glossy deep black shine.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

I Bought Some Zaino Kit, Expensive But well worth it! Very hard to rub off So im Gonna buy a Porter Cable Polisher Their about 220euro Tho! i only got to polish the car once after christmas and have some pictures on my phone but How Do i put them up?? I Mite get polising the car in the shed at home this Weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the drifter View Post
S50 the Bitch
Old 22-02-2007, 12:44 AM

I've heard this a few times so I best ask before I go mad - what's a "Porter Cable Polisher"?!? It must be something else if it costs €220?!

You're a lucky barstool having a garage/shed to be able to do work on your car, fair play t'ya!
Old 22-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I've heard this a few times so I best ask before I go mad - what's a "Porter Cable Polisher"?!? It must be something else if it costs €220?!

You're a lucky barstool having a garage/shed to be able to do work on your car, fair play t'ya!
Actually Ive a Bar in there aswell ( Pool table Dart Bord, Guinness heinekin, and Budweiser on tap !! Not Always stocked mind!! Great for the odd party or if ya couldnt be bothered going into town.) HaHaHa! Its my homeplace and iv a 74 mini in there along with alot of sh1t my ould fella wants me to get rid of! engines, wheels ect!!! And still Room for another car in there! Ya cant beat a Good Slatted shed can ya Oh And the porter cable is an american polisher it doesnt rotate but occilates (so doesnt create swirls) its multi speed for different uses i.e. appling pollish/wax and Removing! Needs a 110V Transformer as its from the states!!!! And its subbosed to be one of the easiest to use! Ill Have to get one soon!

Quote:
S50 the Bitch

Last edited by Feens; 22-02-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 22-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Just wax the outside of your windscreen, buff it off and wait for it to rain Louis!

The effects won't last long if the rain is heavy and persistant as you'll probly need your wipers at that point which will take the wax off!

Pretty cool while it lasts though!
Old 22-02-2007, 09:11 PM

What sort of a bar is tha' Feens.
No Erdinger?
Old 22-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAMP View Post
What sort of a bar is tha' Feens.
No Erdinger?
Only on Special Request champ

Quote:
S50 the Bitch
Old 26-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Thats a great guide Ian, i used to run my own valeting business while between jobs, and although you wouldn't be putting that much detail into a customers car, it is actually a really practical guide.

From doing the valeting, i tried various differant products. Obviously i never used McGuires on a customers car as the money just isn't in it, but for value for money, the best cleaning gear i could buy in bulk was the 'Turtle Wax - Extreame' range. 20 litre drums of wash and wax/polish/wax/carpet shampoo/leather cleaner/etc. Reasonable money too. Not the best gear on the market, but for the price range it is in i think it is the best.

For my own car, i always use the Mcguires range. Haven't tried the clay yet, but after reading this, i'm heading to Halfords at lunch time
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Really helpful thankyou, amph