Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Old 29-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Default Paint detailing products

I'm taking the E30 out of 3 year storage this weekend and treating her to a good detail and was looking for opinions on best products/methods to use.
It was resprayed 4 years ago and did not get much road use since so should just need a good waxing to bring it back.
Should I use a clay bar to remove any impurities
Before wax?What wax are people using and what's best to apply and remove it.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Ive been using a clayblock which I preffer over a clay bar, also got a clay cloth to try out which got good reviews.

Maybe a machine Polish if there are any swirls followed by wax. You can also use a sealant, I'm not totally familiar with the difference or benefit of using one over the other or using both.

It goes without saying that you should use the two bucket method and a good wash mitt.

I also have a fall out remover (iron-x) for use on my own car once I can wash it. Ideally I want to foam the car a few times, use ironx and do what I can to remove as much crap before the wash mitt touches the paint.
Old 30-04-2015, 11:37 PM

If car is dirty or covered in a light dust first thing id do is use a good snow foam as that will remove a lot of the dirt before washing it.
Id wash and dry it then and inspect the body work to see whats next plan of action.Look for swirls,tar or deep scratches.You can also get a very thin plastic shopping bag and put your hand into it and rub it over a clean part of the paint work and if it feels rough you would need to clay it.

If paint is in good nick and dont want go down the machine polishing road id use autoglym super resin polish first as is a good cleaner and filler for swirls and top it with a good wax like collonite if ya want a good durable wax.It is a hard wax to use if your not used to it but it.
Autosmart have a new product out now called topaz and is getting great reviews.Lot of people using it instead of wax now and lasting 3+ months and ya can do a car in 10 to 15 mins with it.Have used it myself and gives a great finish.
Here it is on a bonnet and few cars i done with Super resin polish,topaz and collonite.Bad iphone pics but ya get the idea

Last edited by Joey; 30-04-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:54 AM

Thanks for replys lads,the paint is still very smooth so I think I'll get away without claying,it is covered in dust so I'll have to get some snow foam.
I've seen Collinite getting good review on a few forums so might give that a try,any idea where I can get some?I've seen a online shop in dublin has some but it's over 30 with postage,it's a shame cleancar are closed down.
Ill pick up some autoglym super resin polish in halfords today to use before the wax,think they have a 3for2 sale on cleaning products at the moment,I need a drying towel and microfibre cloths as well.
I'll get up some pics when I'm done,don't think I'll get it done this weekend with this weather.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:18 PM

Would ye still do the same thing if the dust is really really heavy? As in black car that looks properly brown
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman2 View Post
Would ye still do the same thing if the dust is really really heavy? As in black car that looks properly brown
Do ya mean to snow foam it before washing?If so ya i would as will pull most the dust off before touching it with a washing mitt.If you use a sponge to wash it id stop and buy a good lamb wool mitt and use the 2 bucket wash method.Must the damage done to paint is when washing and drying the car wrong or having no protection on the paint.

Last edited by Joey; 03-05-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbre View Post
Thanks for replys lads,the paint is still very smooth so I think I'll get away without claying,it is covered in dust so I'll have to get some snow foam.
I've seen Collinite getting good review on a few forums so might give that a try,any idea where I can get some?I've seen a online shop in dublin has some but it's over 30 with postage,it's a shame cleancar are closed down.
Ill pick up some autoglym super resin polish in halfords today to use before the wax,think they have a 3for2 sale on cleaning products at the moment,I need a drying towel and microfibre cloths as well.
I'll get up some pics when I'm done,don't think I'll get it done this weekend with this weather.
Polish/wax will stick better to a clayed car so if ya have the time its worth doing.
30 delivered is about the go of collonite,ya getting the 845 or 476?Get a big good quality drying towel but dont think there in halfords.Can get spray on drying aids to make drying faster and add lubrication to stop scratching or swirls.

If ya dont want to get wax a good product to go with super resin polish is autoglym extra gloss protection which is in halfords.Its a good sealant till ya wax it and with a pH neutral shampoo could last ya about 3 months.Autoglym HD wax is good to but i think its every expensive in halfords.About 60 last time i bought it.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:39 PM

I'll go for the Collinite 476,I was cleaning out the garage the weekend and found half a bottle of chemical guys liquid carnauba extreme depth+ that I forgot I had so might as well use that up first.
I got a xtra large microfibre drying towel in halfords but not sure what it's like did not use it yet.
http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-trav...e-drying-towel
Old 06-05-2015, 08:05 PM

When cleancar were open half my cleaning stuff was chemicals guys.
With the collonite if its your first time using it put it on very very thin and dont leave it dry to long cause it can be hard to get off.
Old 16-05-2015, 10:31 PM

Finally got her out for a good wash and polish.I used the chemical guys wax I had left over,the halfords drying towel is good but you could do with two for one car.Did not clay in the end but it would benefit from it as noticed a fine spray of cavity wax on some paint from overspray when undersealing.

Old 16-05-2015, 11:20 PM

Cracking car.
Tech I & a Cork reg, pretty close to perfection

E46 320d Saloon
E46 320i Saloon - E30 316i Touring - E36 318iS Saloon - E36 318iS - E30 325i Sport