Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   :: E30owners.com :: Your BMW E30 website > E30 - Maintenance > Tech Help

Tech Help Discuss all your E30 related technical topics. Need help with something? Ask here

Old 16-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Default Engine cutting out whilst driving

This has started happening on my car recently. Driving along and next thing the engine cuts out. The tachometer immediately drops to zero although the enfine would still be turning as it's moving in gear. I did a bit of googling and for that symtom the DME is coming up as first potential issue. Anyone have any experience of this?

Sometimes the engine can be a bit hesitant and lumpy when pushing through the revs say in 3rd gear, and I think this is related.

I looked at the dme relay in beside the fuse box, tbh I'm not sure what I'm looking for just checked for no corrosion and nothing was too loose. It does look like one of the relays may be jumpered but as I said I'm not sure what I am looking at. I'll try and get up a photo.

Any help or thoughts appreciated. Cheers
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Premium Member (Site Supporter)

I'd be checking your crank sensor first, would give the same issue
Old 16-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Yeah I had a look, was the first thing I checked. Looks fine and no issue with the cable running from it that I can see. Problem is ittermittent that it's hard to fund as the car is running 100% today.
Old 16-11-2016, 03:17 PM

Id say crank sensor is the issue too. it would explain why the tacho isnt reading engine speed

Check the the crank pulley... The pulley has an inner and outer part with a rubber strip separating the inner from the outer (which has the teeth the crank sensor reads). This is just a vibration damper... I had a similar problem on a 318i before, where the rubber had failed and the inner part of the crank pulley was spinning inside the outer.

It had been slightly slipping for a while.. car would bog down every so often when i planted the foot. eventually got worse to where the car wouldnt start. Took me a long time to diagnose it, only when I had a buddy of mine turn over the engine while I had a look around the bay, and spotted the crank pulley not spinning
Old 16-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Cheers I'll keep that one in mind next time it plays up and see is there any slip.
Old 16-11-2016, 04:19 PM

This was happening to my E34. Crank shaft sensor was just dirty! Dirt on the end facing the toothed pulley.
Old 16-11-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael. View Post
Yeah I had a look, was the first thing I checked. Looks fine and no issue with the cable running from it that I can see. Problem is ittermittent that it's hard to fund as the car is running 100% today.
Doesn't matter how it looks, could be spotless on the outside and dead inside. Could be a broken connection to the sensor that only open circuits when the car is running either due to vibration or heat.

Change the sensor.

Must change my avatar, that one's sold!
Old 16-11-2016, 10:17 PM

I've a sensor here, I'm picking up 500 ohms across pins 1 and 2, so I think it's alright.

PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post tomorrow or friday.
Old 16-11-2016, 10:22 PM

I had similiar issue recently car eventually refused to start at all , changed crank sensor rotor arm ..still no joy ...ended up was dme relay ..not expensive from Bmw €17 I think
Old 16-11-2016, 11:23 PM

Cheers TomK, you're a gent. Took the sensor out and gave it a wipe. Doubt that'll make a difference, but engine is running 110 again today anyway.