Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members E30's Show the rest of us your E30

Old 12-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316i4 View Post
These diff ratios baffle me. Will the 364 give you better fuel economy ?
3.64 means the propshaft turns 3.64 times for every one revolution of the rear wheels... the lower this number, the higher top speed you'll get, at the expense of loosing acceleration (but can give you better fuel economey on motorways as you have to rev less to achieve your desired cruising speed)

The higher the number, the quicker your acceleration, and usually measn worse fuel economey as you have to rev your engine more to do similar speeds. But is better for fast road use or track. I have a 4.44 in my track e30 and with the m30 gearbox ratios, redlining it in 5th gear is only about 95-100mph (with 15"wheels)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:48 PM

The smaller the number means the taller the gearing of the drivetrain. So a smaller number means that at 100kph the engine will be at a lower rpm so should in theory give better mpg. The sacrafice though is in gear acceleration will be worse.

Edit... what Conor said

Last edited by Michael.; 12-08-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 PM

Interesting I was often wondering about this, my IS is around 3000rpm+ cruising on the motorway doesn't really encourage me to go and long journeys really great for tearing around tho
Old 13-08-2016, 10:54 PM

Your e30 reminds me of my 1st e30 a 320i Diamond black with shadow line too & it had a LSD

Old 04-09-2016, 12:23 AM

So I had the soldering iron out today doing a little mod to my headunit in the E30. I like the current headunit as it is in keeping with the dash somewhat and not too flashy.

It has an option for aux but it it wasn't wired up. I soldered in some speaker cable back to a 3.5mm jack. I had a spare bluetooth receiver used for home hifi that supports a2dp that was made redundant when I bought some chrome cast audios. So instead of plugging my phone into the 3.5mm jack, the bluetooth player is hooked into it.

So now I have Spotify in my e30 and it cost my a bit of solder! It's all hidden away too and connects up automatically. Happy days....

One problem though. I couldn't find a switched line to tap into for the bluetooth. The cig lighter is always on, so I may have to wire in a little switch. I know the power for the radio is switched but I'd be worried about pulling to much juice through it, or would that be fine? I have one of those dual usb ports hooked up to it and it can pull a fair bit of current. The same one has blown a few fuses in her f10 so far so I am wary of it
Old 04-09-2016, 03:45 AM

Those Blaupunkt stereos look well in the e30 all right and are good units as well. I have mine wired directly from the C302 accessory plug under the glovebox which has connections for the electric aerial, illumination, amp etc. The pin X on this accessory connector is for the radio switched live and is connected through fuse no.12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c302behindglovebox.jpg (27.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre View Post
Those Blaupunkt stereos look well in the e30 all right and are good units as well. I have mine wired directly from the C302 accessory plug under the glovebox which has connections for the electric aerial, illumination, amp etc. The pin X on this accessory connector is for the radio switched live and is connected through fuse no.12.
Gentleman, I'll have a look for that. Thanks
Old 04-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Default Conor Smyth

Don't buy a diff off Conor Smyth..I bought a diff of him last year after being told it was good & turned out it was only scrap & fit for the skip. Long story & have an expert mechanic that can verify
Old 04-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
Don't buy a diff off Conor Smyth..I bought a diff of him last year after being told it was good & turned out it was only scrap & fit for the skip. Long story & have an expert mechanic that can verify
I read about that already and would prefer not to open another discussion about it on here. Cheers
Old 04-09-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Do all cars have that c302 plug?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 PM

Yes, You have to remove the glovebox to see it.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:23 PM

Here is a live one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1426.jpg (35.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Here is a live one.
Cool, just from googling some cars have an aux fuse board and mine doesn't so wasn't sure if that was related. Considering the stuff on the diagram key like power windows I figured it would be there but easier to ask.

Thanks again
Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 AM

You will notice that the radio connections are represented by connecter points V,W,X and Y. where V is for radio station and clock memory and is permanent live. W is illumination connected up to the light switch. X is ignition/switched live and Y is the ground. You can power an amp from connector H. My radio had been connected up through the hazard switch at some stage which also provides a permanent live but I wanted to set it up correctly. The key chart is actually upside down when you see the actual connector points in the car so just to be aware of that.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:07 AM

Got sorted, thanks for the detail, good to know where to get the power from the illumination for the radio connector too as I might have a use for this in future.

Thanks again, I know have bluetooth audio that works really well.