Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tech Help Discuss all your E30 related technical topics. Need help with something? Ask here

Old 27-08-2016, 10:14 PM

Default Clutch issues

So seeing as my e30 is a project and has been sitting up, finally reached a stage when it is driveable and such. But having a problem with the clutch. filled and bled the slave cylinder and the clutch is rock hard. virtually no depression of it. Car will go into gear but wont move.

Have order a new clutch slave and master cylinder but am wondering if anyone has any ideas what else may be the problem or how to solve
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2016, 02:11 PM

So got the new clutch slave and master fitted and bled till it is squirting out. But the clutch petal is very soft and only seems to be coming up 3/4 of the way. Car still wont move but managed to get a grinding noise when trying to get into geaar with pedal fully depressed..

on anther note the car wont even move if in gear and you start it. wont lurge forward.

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 02-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Had you the gearbox off engine ? Did you buy the car this way ?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 PM

havent had the box off yet. was hoping there might be a solution before doing that and ordering a new clutch
Old 02-09-2016, 10:19 PM

Are you finding all 5 gears and reverse ?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:07 AM

It sounds like it's not fully bled to be honest. Try this first. Clamp the clutch pipe and see if the clutch pedal is still soft. It should be rock hard. If it is soft, then you're problem is at the master. If it's hard then the issue is at the slave or clutch itself.

A few weeks ago I had an S15 in the garage, it had a 5 speed conversion from an s14 by the last owner. Grinding going into first and reverse, bite point was on the floor and the pedal felt shite. Had a new clutch futted already. After a lot of bleeding and a lot of measuring and checking pedal travel and cylinder travel etc etc, it turned out the bore of the slave cylinder was way too big for the volume of fluid from the master cylinder. Turns out there are a few different bore sizes available for the 5 speed s14 box. I got one that was 2mm smaller and clutch was perfect. I have no idea if there's different sizes of slave cylinders for an e30 though. Just a thought.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 AM

Even if there is still a problem with the master or slave cylinder you definitely have other problems. If the car won't move when started in gear you could have maybe a broken driveshaft, the clutch is totally gone or the centre broken out of it or possibly there is a problem in the gearbox. I would first see if the prop shaft is moving when the car is started in gear, if it isn't it's box out. They are not a difficult gearbox to remove anyway.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM

OK so yes finding all the gears when the car is sitting and even when started. No problem in selecting gears.

Clamped the flexi hose and pedal feels the same as before. It wasn't that the pedal felt soft nearly to hard and doesn't seem to be going down fully. The pedal throw to me feels to short like it is meeting resistance and can't force it down any more.

Seeing as how the car doesnt move when started in gear I jacked up the rear and when in gear the driveshaft turns when I spin the rear wheels.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmac View Post
So got the new clutch slave and master fitted and bled till it is squirting out. But the clutch petal is very soft and only seems to be coming up 3/4 of the way. Car still wont move but managed to get a grinding noise when trying to get into geaar with pedal fully depressed..

on anther note the car wont even move if in gear and you start it. wont lurge forward.

Any help greatly appreciated
This is a very different description to your latest post?!?! You say you have no problem selecting gears with the engine running and the pedal feels too hard. You said previously that you could only get grinding and the pedal feels soft. What did you do between those two descriptions? When you say you can turn the back wheels and move the driveshaft, do you mean the props haft from the gearbox or the actual driveshaft from the diff to the wheels.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 PM

sorry for the confusion was trying to do the last post on my phone.

so the pedal is soft/spongy at the start of pressing it just the first bit but then is hard like it is meeting resistance and doesnt seem to press down fully to the floor.
i only got a grinding noise once and was when i press the petal really hard to the floor.. its hard to try and describe it cause i never had a pedal be like this before

and when turning the wheels the diff drive to the wheels turn aswell as the shaft from box to the diff
Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM

According to the factory manual, if you suspect air in the system after a bleed you remove the slave cylinder and slowly pump the rod (by hand and don't touch the pedal) to remove any possible air bubbles.

Did you install/adjust the eccentric bolt correctly when refitting the master cylinder?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Will try taking the slave off and try that

If you mean by the eccentric pin the bolt that the pedal goes onto the master cylinder it is in with the master cylinder bolt hole to the drivers door of the pedal bolt hole. When fitting the new cylinder this way gave the cylinder shaft straighter line that have it to the left of the pedal bolt hole
Old 03-09-2016, 06:08 PM

Update.
As per what Tom said i took off the slave cylinder to find that the rod was had ripped the rubber boot and was stuck in the gear box. pulled it out and found the end with the hard rubber was chewed up.

Does this mean that the slave cylinder i got was the wrong part?? Side to side with the old one the are the same sizes and both rods appear to be the same.
Or is it that the clutch is fucked and siezed why the slave cylinder broke

Last edited by mattmac; 03-09-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:01 PM

Can you stick up a picture of the slave cylinder and the rod?

Can you see the release fork, when you look in where the slave cylinder rod goes? There should be a little dimple in it, that the slave cylinder sits into.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 PM

Will try and check for the fork tomorrow