Thread: Nct stricter than mot ?

jimbo19162 is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Default Nct stricter than mot ?

Hey lads am interested in an e30 in the UK 1990 318is 150 odd miles on it and has mot and tax until next july

I done an online check it gave me all the past Mot certs on the Last mot it had 6 pass advisorys on it
    1 . Parking brake lever has little reserve travel
    2. Nearside front suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive.
    3. Offside front same as 2
    4. Offside front antiroll bar rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement .
    5. Underside of car is coroded.
    6. Brake pipe slightly corroded near side and off side rear brake pipes .

There all pass advisorys on it . I know the handbrake got tightened . Is there anything there ya reckon is a big major job or deal breaker walk away from? anything real expensive I see on other mot passes there's also pass advisorys on fuel pipes but wasn't flagged on the last one so guessing it must have been done .

I hate the fact it just says underside corroded I'm assuming doesn't need welding it would hardly pass the mot like that.

breihill01 is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Depending on where it needs welded. Might not cause a failure

Welded !!!!

Was hoping it doesn't need welding at all

Sceptre is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Most e30's have been introduced to a welder at this stage or will be soon. If the underside is corroded the floorpans may be rusting but with no visible holes to actually fail the MOT but likely to fail the next one as the problem worsens. Likely caused by water leaks. Rust repair is expensive on the floor or sills as you have to take the carpet out and its a lot of hassle.

Shit doesn't sound good .

I might have to let this one pass so it's a very long way to travel to look at a yoke if she ends up rotten underneath. Pity the mot doesn't elaborate on the corosion underneath that's literally all it says . And it's the first time it's said it all other mot's saying aboit the rear brake pipes but never failed on them

Sceptre is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Rust in the frame is bad news. You wouldn't mind rust in the wings or doors as these are bolt on and no welding needed. A close look at the wheel arches, sills, firewall/scuttle and roof. Damp carpets indicate a problem. Rust is your main concern and kills most e30's at this stage. I would prefer a body shop expert rather than a mechanic on such an excursion.

316i4 is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

There is no e30 on the planet that dosent have rust no matter how much the owner wants to believe it don't. Most of them hitting 30 now . But sounds like that yoke you going looking at prop is a rot box. Prop chassis rotten when it said suspension mounting

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo19162 View Post
    Welded !!!!

Was hoping it doesn't need welding at all

Only advice I can add to this is your better of buying an original republic Irish car as most have considerably less rust than uk imports! As we don't salt our roads as near as much as they do! A lot of them English cars are patch work quilts at this stage in order to get through the mot's over the years and in most cases are botched in order to barely pass! Just look on the e30zone at some of the projects! Most of them are black rotten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information