Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: E30 Engine specs

yeah i had a 1985 316 with no "i" that was 1.8, i found it very strange at the time and very hard to insure because of the age. i was even beaten away from the lights by some chap in a micra, (very embarresing). i was livin in dublin at the time and sold it to a fella from tipperary, the tax was out about 3 years and i never heard if he made it home or not. if your on this site pm me and let me know if ya still have it so i can laugh at you, haha, his friend was driving an altezza so you know who you are...

Quote Originally Posted by zed_head View Post
    Not neccessarily so. The early (chrome bumpered) fuel injected 318i used an M10 block too.
    The 318 (with no "i") used a Solex carb.
    Ahh, I see. I didn't know you could get fuel injected M10s

In that case, you'll just be able to tell the difference between them with one sounding like a sowing machine
    M42 RIGHTNESS.
    Past 6500rpm, nobody can hear you scream.

My first E30 was a 316 with the 1766cc carbie engine. 90 bhp of pure, raw, muscle.

E30 drivers do it sideways

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM-sport View Post
    Ahh, I see. I didn't know you could get fuel injected M10s

In that case, you'll just be able to tell the difference between them with one sounding like a sowing machine
    I suppose the first fuel injected M10 would have been the 2002 Tii !
    Way back in the last century that was !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    My first E30 was a 316 with the 1766cc carbie engine. 90 bhp of pure, raw, muscle.
    As was mine...
    They were a thirsty old yoke, and mine used about as much oil as petrol...

Gussi
    the M10 1766cc was the 105b.h.p. engine
    DON COMPER

able flapmovMy 318i (april 1986) M10 105bhp has L Jetronic fuel injection.Due to an air leak at the
    join with the flexi- base of the air-flow meter-engine back-fired blowing the sole(flexi-base) off the unit and also deranged the

Madman2 is offline Premium Member (Site Supporter)

Quote Originally Posted by DON COMPER View Post
    Gussi
    the M10 1766cc was the 105b.h.p. engine
    DON COMPER
    318i was 1766cc with jet tronic fuel injection 316 was1766 90 hp with a solex carburetor
    just to clear things up

How about the:

M21D24-2.4d and td, It was introduced in 1983 with the BMW M20 design as its basis. It was available with a turbocharger
    1985-1993 E30 324d/324td

Default 320 with 325 engine.. i think?

hi, i bought a 320 recently that has had an engine swap so it is now a 2.5 engine, does anyone no were the engine code is on them so i can see what engine it actually is just need to no for buying parts and servicing and just interested to know what kind of power it is putting out. also it heats up a little bit and then goes back down when im driving kind of randomly sometimes gets up to around 3/4 on the gauge which is a bit worrying, when i first bought the car it was doing this for about an hour on the drive home so i was driving very easy but when i got to the motorway i got a bit exited an just floored it up to about 100mph and it stoped messing around and just sat steady just a tiny bit over the halfway mark. the car still randomly heats up when i drive it normally though but does not do it when its just ticking over any one experienced this or have any ideas what i should try?

cal 30
    probably your viscous fan

To test the viscous coupling, you need a cold engine to start with. Get the engine running, and then gently try to stop the fan blades turning with a loosely rolled up newspaper. When the engine is cold you should be able to easily stop the fan.

Now repeat this test with an engine that is significantly overheating. i.e. The temperature gauge needle around the three quarters mark. When the newspaper meets the fan, the newspaper should get shredded. If the fan stops with the same resistance as when cold, then your viscous coupling is broken, and needs replacing.

hope this help's taking from the zone wiki
    drive her like your late for sunday mass

sounds like a fecked viscous to me too.

Engine code is down on the side of the block just above the sump behind the power-steering pump. If its a 2.5, it'll be an M20b25 and should be putting out 171bhp but they rarely do it these days unless been given some attention.
    M42 RIGHTNESS.
    Past 6500rpm, nobody can hear you scream.

Thread Information